Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Theory of Evolution


No, not THAT evolution.  Not talking science here.  I’m referring to the metamorphosis of a greenhorn teacher in two months time.   My university instructors kept saying that our philosophy of teaching would change many times during our teacher preparation courses and even into our career.  Boy, were they right.  

 I was required to write a paper explaining my philosophy of teaching before I could be admitted into the Department of Education.  What a hoot!  I should go back and read the rot I slapped down on that paper, because frankly, I had no idea what my philosophy was then.  I just knew I wanted to teach.  That’s it.  Whatchu talkin’ about a philosophy?   I thought that meant that my students should probably learn  something while in my classroom.  And hitting them was probably not a good idea.  Beyond that…..??

Student teaching really is the perfect segue into the profession.  It is a taste of what teaching is like.  But it is only a taste.  As a student teacher, you are in someone else' classroom, using their materials and ruining (oops, I mean experimenting) with their students.  No matter how gracious and welcoming the cooperating teacher is (and mine were FABULOUS), you are still constantly aware that it is not the same as having your own students and classroom.  I must interject here, however, that I probably had the dream version of student teaching.   Because I had been a paraprofessional in that school for two years, and knew the faculty, I was given quite of bit of leeway in how much freedom I had to try new things.  But eight weeks per classroom is not a very long time to really dive into this teaching thing.  It merely introduces you to the vocation.  I was so busy trying to figure out the curriculum and follow the schedule and all the other things that are new and overwhelming, that I didn’t have much of an opportunity to fine-tune my teaching philosophy. 

Turns out my teaching philosophy is a lot like my mothering philosophy.  Love, care for, nurture, and use everything that happens during the course of a day as a teaching moment.  That’s a really boiled down version of what I believe about classroom education, and I could throw some names and terms at you so you’d be impressed, but when I think about what I believe in its simplest terms, the above statement says it all. 

If you’ve shared my journey with me, especially the last week or so, you know I hit a rough patch in terms of feeling competent in what I’m doing right now in the classroom.  But God is so very good, and people are so very kind.  I have had some GREAT conversations in the last few days with people I really respect and admire.  These are fellow educators who have been honest in their assessment and replies.  They have all, in one way or another, said the same things to me.  Teaching (good teaching) takes a tremendous amount of preparation and time, children respond to love and care, and it will get better.

My principal said two things to me that lifted an enormous weight off my shoulders.  He told me that the very best thing I can do in first grade is teach them to read well.  The other core subjects do not need to same focus at this age that fluent reading does.  They will get what they need as they progress through the upper grades.  The second thing he said that was such a relief to me was that I need not hurry through my lessons.  Conquering instructional minutes in order to move on to the next subject is unnecessary, and even counterproductive.  Better to let them fully enjoy the learning process and follow their interests, than to check off objectives “just ‘cuz.”  That so fits my personality better anyway.  After that conversation, I felt such a sense of teaching renewal.  This week has been more relaxed, more focused, and more productive, I think. 

The second conversation this week that meant so much to me was with my assigned mentor.  He was also one of my cooperating teachers and I fully respect and admire him as an educator and friend.  He is wise, objective, and willing to be honest.  His sage advice was, “teaching is like parenting.  If you truly care about your students, you’ll get it right 99% of the time.  Just like parenting, you’ll mess up once-in-a-while, but mostly, you’ll get it right.”  That’s a great analogy for me.  And it takes a huge amount of pressure off my shoulders.  I have been trained well, and I genuinely care whether my students succeed in the classroom. I will gladly accept a 99% success rate.

So if you had stepped into my classroom seven weeks ago, you would have found a new teacher more than a little stressed and frustrated about getting all my lesson plans executed every week and trying to spoon feed knowledge into the little baby bird mouths of my first graders.  If you visited us now, I think you might enjoy a different atmosphere.  Remember, I am still evolving as a teacher.  My philosophy and ideas are still moldable, like wet clay on a potter’s wheel.  I know I will continue to change and revisit what it is I believe about best teaching practices.  I’m hoping it’s the difference down the road between a stagnant teacher and one who is keeping things alive and fresh in the classroom.  Time will tell.  The thing going for me in that department is, I bore easily.  I cannot imagine doing the same things the same way for the rest of my teaching career.  Gag.   My husband and I are polar opposites in this regard.  He can eat the very same thing every night for 26 days straight.  He never tires of watching Everybody Loves Raymond.   I mean, he NEVER tires of it.  Well, I’ve got news for you.  Everybody does NOT love Raymond.  I just can’t take the same old, same old.  I need to shake it up every once in a while.

So as I get ready to put the lid on another week of teaching in this, my first year, I am thankful for growing pains that lead to positive change.  I am also thankful for those who are patient enough to listen to a whiny, middle-aged woman who just recently decided what she wanted to be when she grew up.  There have been other colleagues who have also listened, cared, and offered encouragement out of their own wealth of experience.  God bless each one.

I’ll close with a smile. 

As I handed out worksheets, one of my little sweeties took a look at it and groaned.  Mr. Eternal Optimist sitting to his right attempted to put a positive spin on it.  “Well, it couldn’t get any worse!”  Ah, the “slings and arrows” of being a first-grader.  May the rest of their lives be as difficult...















No comments:

Post a Comment