Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Storm Of The Century Has An Ugly Sister

Eleven days ago the fiercest winter storm I have ever witnessed swooped in with such suddenness that motorists were literally stopped in their tracks and most spent many hours stuck in their vehicles waiting for a break in the weather or a rescue of some sort.  I won’t relive that experience here.

The Weather Gurus have been predicting another 1-2 punch for several days now.  This time it was to begin with freezing rain and then morph into snow and high winds.  Areas of the state may see up to 16” of snow by tomorrow night… a fairly significant amount for middle of March, even by North Dakota standards.

Sure enough, on my way to work this morning, I saw raindrops begin to hit my window.  The skies were low and leaden.  It just LOOKED ominous.  As my happy first graders began arriving around 8:20, we began to hear the first thunks of ice against our classroom window.  I was fervently praying that our Super would make the call quickly as to whether we should head back home or take our chances sticking out the day.  A quick peek out the front doors showed the street covered in white; not snow, but ice pellets.  Well, this can’t be good…

On our way to visit another class’ castle exhibit, I gave a beseeching look and raised eyebrow to the Superintendent.  I didn’t even have to say the words.  He just knew what I meant.  “Ten fifteen,” was his reply.  Holy Cow!  That was only a half hour away.  We breezed through the exhibits (they were wonderful!) and back in our room with the constant pinging of ice on the glass, I gave them enough free time in order to get their assignments organized and into their take-home drawers.  All of a sudden it was time to get coats and boots on.  One child who lives a block away wanted to know if they would be walking home or riding the bus, like last time.  “This time you’ll walk.”  Disappointment was evident on his little face.  “I think we should ride the bus again.”  Big smile from me.  “I think you’ll make it just fine.”

And then our school cook walked in carrying a tray of the most delectable frosted cinnamon rolls you have EVER experienced, all wrapped and ready for the kids to take with them on the bus.  She couldn’t see letting them sit around a day, waiting for appreciative munchers.  And besides, suppose they get stuck in a bus out on the road for any length of time?   A very real possibility in this sort of nasty weather.   At least they would have a little something to fill hungry bellies.   I LOVE that woman!  (another reminder of the many benefits of a small school.  We function like a big, wonderful family).

Bell rang…bus kids out the door…frantic sister appears at my door, “No, my brother wasn’t supposed to ride the bus!”  Ooops!  Retrieved in time…all is well.  Another bell rings for the dismissal of town kids…goodbye, be careful…janitor’s head pops in, “Mrs. Dahl, why are you still here?  Get going!”  Thank you, I will…throwing work-to- do-at-home into bags (I love the reusable shopping bags for haulin’ school stuff – I never use them for actual shopping)…asked a friend of my daughter’s if she rode the bus, “I think so…”  OK, then I’m outta’ here!

The outside stairs and street are covered in icy pellets, my van looks like a giant snow cone.  The streets of town are slick but not terrible.  However, as I pulled on to the highway, suddenly the ground beneath me felt like it was on rollers.  Dear Jesus, get me home in one piece! 

Contrary to very popular and mistaken belief, North Dakota is not comprised of flat terrain.  I have seen the heartland and can tell you that there are other states far flatter than my home state.  As I inched my way towards home, the gently rolling hills between work and home now seemed bigger and more menacing than ever before.  Would I be able to make that big hill just south of town?  Gunning the engine was out of the question.  It merely caused more sliding.  Phewww, made it!  But on the other side, my van began an uncontrollable slide towards the ditch.  Screaming “NOOOOOO!” was my best first reaction.  Well, that didn’t seem to help.  OK, throw it in neutral.  All of a sudden I couldn’t remember which way you are supposed to point the wheels in such an emergency.  Head into the ditch so you don’t roll?  Try to point them back towards the road?  I followed my gut instinct and decided to go with staying out of the ditch.  With wheels pulled hard to the left, I rode the shoulder like a skateboarder on a half-pipe.  Yeeeehaaaaawwww!!  OK, Guardian Angels…do your thing…..

To my amazement and wonder, my carnival ride ended on the shoulder as I slowed to a stop.  No cars on my back bumper to collide with.  THAT was close!  I pointed Ole’ Bessie back to the miserable road and started on my journey again.  I was able to manage 30 mph or so and arrived without further incident.  Hallelujah!

Husband is very glad to see me safely home, and (glory be!), Hannah made the bus ride just fine.  It is now 2:00 in the afternoon and the freezing rain has not let up for a moment.  The highway is covered in white and the only vehicle I have seen go by is the snow plow, futilely trying to clear a path.  For whom?  Who would be mad enough to go out in this rottenness?  Not me.  I’m HOME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment