Saturday, January 29, 2011

Memorable Moments From Week Two

It is such fun to begin to become familiar with their individual personalities and quirks.  Here are a few instances that stood out this week. 

The Full Body Tackler – One of my more energetic students somehow manages to come at me with full momentum.  When he comes to my desk to ask a question, he has a way of bumping into me at 20 mph EVERY TIME.  Granted, he cannot seem to keep his shoes tied, but after hitting me like I’m a Crash Test Dummy, he ends up half-sprawled across my desk. When he rights himself, he likes to be standing so close to me he’s practically in my lap.  I let it slide the first week, but now I think it’s time for some conversations about personal space (he also likes to feel my shoes during story time.  A very tactile child…..)

The 21st Century Girl – This little sweetie came back from music with the second graders on Tuesday declaring that she had a crush on one of the second grade boys.  “He’s in my heart,” she told me with stars in her eyes.  On Wednesday, she came back from music with his phone number written in her notebook.  Holy cow, they start young!

The Dyslexic Faker – We had our very first spelling test this week.  I thought it went well and overall, they did very well.  When I was grading the tests after school, I came to one that looked odd.  Like it was written in a different language.  After staring at it for a minute, it finally dawned on me what was wrong.  He had written every single word BACKWARDS.  I mean, SDRAWKCAB.  Where do they come up with this stuff?  I was laughing the whole time I gave him a zero (orez).  He and I will have a chat on Monday.

“And The Award Goes To…” – We celebrated a birthday this week!  On the morning of his birthday, I realized that I didn’t have any Happy Birthday cards or certificates.  The kindergarten teacher told me not to panic and quickly printed a beautiful, personalized certificate for him.  During lunch I signed it, added a birthday wish, and laminated it.  I had it sitting on his desk with a pencil, a small book, and a piece of candy.  He was overjoyed when he saw it.  He held it up and declared that his parents were going to be “so proud of him.”  He was so sure of it that he told me twice that day how proud his parents were going to be.  I didn't have the heart to explain the difference between a birthday wish and an award.  D-A-R-L-I-N-G!

It was such a great week.  I hope next week is just as wonderful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment