Monday, February 7, 2011

The Honeymoon is Over!

I am so thankful that I have some real-life experience in my back pocket as we wade into week four of my Mid-Life, Mid-School Year Experience.  To say that they are comfortable with me now would be understating it to the furthest reaches of the Solar System.  They have pushed the marked boundaries and I am pushing back.  It just cracks me up how stupid they think I am.  For example, today Student A asked if he could empty his lunch tray.  “Did you drink all of your milk?’  With a straight face,  “yes.”   OK, its pretty obvious Student A is red-hot to get out on the play ground for recess, so I do not assume the best and most honorable of character traits here.  I have, after all, raised four children and can spot a fib from 50 yards (blind-folded).  I reach across the table and give Student A’s milk carton a heft.  Plum full.  Busted!!  We’ll skip through the part where I assured him I will not tolerate lying and how he  ended up actually spending his precious 30 minute recess, and jump right to the part where tears and self-pity did not move me. 

Here’s what a 22-year-old who has never raised children probably doesn’t know.  The BEST gift you can give a child is teaching them to be self-controlled and to take responsibility for their actions.  Children who never or rarely face consequences grow up to be adults who can’t hold a job, can’t make a marriage work, and will always find someone else to blame for their problems.  Can I instill all of that in the few hours a day I have them in my care? Of course not.  But MAYBE I can help lovingly guide them in the right direction and MAYBE there will be a life-lesson or two along the way that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.  I don’t know.  Pretty lofty goals, Mrs. Dahl.  Time will tell.  I just know I already love these kids so doggone much and want life’s best for them.   And yes, I know some of them have it really tough at home.  I know parents disappoint, and sorrow is an everyday emotion, and bullies intimidate, and siblings torment.  I know all of that.  I wish I could fix those things, but I can’t.  I CAN provide a warm and nurturing environment for a few hours everyday, and I can provide the stability and security of steadfast boundaries, and I can show by example that there is joy in learning about our wonderful world.  Will it make a difference?  We’ll see….

Bring it on, Tuesday!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe they are lofty goals, but why have any other kind? And you will be surprised how they will look back and be able to point out the difference that you made in their lives. May I again say, I. am. so. proud. of. you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wished my kids could have had you as their teacher. We need more like you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete